Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Dinner

Coming out my shell,
I allowed myself,
If only for a moment,
To shine,
Letting go of everything,
Though difficult,
I was able,
For a few hours,
To speak comfortably,
To control my anxiety,
And make new friends.

Coming out of my shell,
I could feel,
Something I hadn’t felt in a while,
That tender and soothing calm,
And belly laughs result,
In a room of virtual strangers,
Embracing me,
Conversation freely flowing,
From politics, to religion, to creativity,
And to what I hope to be,
And what so clearly I am,
My willingness to play,
Rewarded by their admiration.

New allies,
Letting me know,
And confirming,
That what I am is a writer,
And they,
Sharing in the joy,
That I so easily expressed,
As they asked,
About my journey,
And longed to see all sides of me.

Today in reflection,
I realize that dinner with friends,
Is more than just dinner,
It is a celebration of life,
And even in the deepest hell of depression,
A kind word,
An open heart,
And a welcoming home,
Can give,
Albeit temporarily,
A real comfort,
And allowances that it is okay to be,
I.

SDM

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.