Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Time of Day

Its so quiet now,
at this hour,
nothing to keep me company at 5:20 am,
except for the sirens in the distance trying to keep my attention,
competing with a chorus of birds songs varied both near and far.
So quiet now that I can see the birds vie for their spot at our feeder
and actually hear the small but powerful beaks breaking their various seeds.
Somewhere off in the distance the sun has already begun its daily tango with this side of the earth, its tones changing from red to orange to now somewhere between those and yellow.
In this time,
my time,
as you sleep comfortably in our bed,
I sit out here listening to the hum of far off traffic;
and then out of nowhere a Cardinal arrives,
looks right at me,
takes its turn at the trough and just lifts away as quickly as it came.
Its amazing what you see when you open your eyes.
Good morning!

SDM

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.